Development cost very high to move from 14683 to 14586

⚠️
Hi there.. thanks for coming to the forums. Exciting news! we’re now in the process of moving to our new forum platform that will offer better functionality and is contained within the main Dialog website. All posts and accounts have been migrated. We’re now accepting traffic on the new forum only - please POST any new threads at https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/support . We’ll be fixing bugs / optimising the searching and tagging over the coming days.
4 posts / 0 new
Last post
tlrogers
Development cost very high to move from 14683 to 14586

Are there any alternatives to Keil for the 14585 PRO dev board with or without the 14586 daughter board..

I have been developing on the 14683 pro board with no out of pocket costs beyond the purchase of the 14683 pro board using Studio and Segger tools.

I recently decided to look into moving to the 14585/6 and spent the money to purchase the pro dev board and the 14586 daughter board. I expected to have access to the same dev suite of software only to learn it requires Keil and Keil has a 32k limit before a minimal sunken cost of at least $1535/year. Is it correct that I  would be forced to go back to the 14683 to allow for continued free dev tools?  Any help would be appreciated.

My BT HID keyboard code was already well past the 32k limit of Keil before I compiled it for the first time after transferring from the 14683 pro board. I would really like to use the 14586 for its feature set and form factor but appear to have just been priced out the planned purchase of more than 2000 14586 parts for the intitial mfg run because the annual cost of the Keil dev tools are more than the cost of 500 units of 14586, the optimal part for my project.

Hoping to hear there are other options which would allow me to continue using the 14585/6 family.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Device: 
PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi tlrogers,

Hi tlrogers,

Thanks for your question and for you interest in our BLE solutions.

You could use either IAR or Eclipse instead of Keil IDE. The pxp_reporter example of the SDK include project for IAR and Eclipse. Please download the latest SDK6 from our support website and navigate to 6.0.14.1114\projects\target_apps\ble_examples\prox_reporter.

Keil project : projects\target_apps\ble_examples\prox_reporter\Keil_5

IAR project: projects\target_apps\ble_examples\prox_reporter\IAR

Eclipse project : projects\target_apps\ble_examples\prox_reporter\Eclipse

In case of Eclipse, please see the following document :

http://lpccs-docs.dialog-semiconductor.com/Tutorial_SDK6/eclipse_gcc.html

Thanks, PM_Dialog

tlrogers
Thanks for the fast reply. I

Thanks for the fast reply. I will investigate the other two development options. I also reread my post and realized I became too heated about the issue and want to apolgize for my unprofessionalism.

PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi tlrogers,

Hi tlrogers,

No problem – please try the different development option and if you have any follow-up question, please raise a new forum post.

Thanks, PM_Dialog