Problems with flashing DA14681

⚠️
Hi there.. thanks for coming to the forums. Exciting news! we’re now in the process of moving to our new forum platform that will offer better functionality and is contained within the main Dialog website. All posts and accounts have been migrated. We’re now accepting traffic on the new forum only - please POST any new threads at https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/support . We’ll be fixing bugs / optimising the searching and tagging over the coming days.
12 posts / 0 new
Last post
saschaho
Problems with flashing DA14681

Hi there,

I work with a DA14681 Basic Development kit in order to develop a HomeKit accessory.
(SDK: DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28)

I already was able to successfully flash the board on a Windows machine for testing purposes. However I usually develop on macOS. Unfortunately, I have some problems.

1. When I try to flash the board on my Mac and run suota_inital_flash_mac the console shows the following output:

Using SDK from /Users/Sascha/Coding/SmartSnippets_Studio_workspace/DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28
cli_programmer from /Users/Sascha/Coding/SmartSnippets_Studio_workspace/DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28/binaries/cli_programmer.mac
image file /Users/Sascha/Coding/SmartSnippets_Studio_workspace/DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28/projects/dk_apps/templates/homekit_profile/DA14681-01-Release_all_QSPI/homekit_profile.bin
boot loader /Users/Sascha/Coding/SmartSnippets_Studio_workspace/DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28/sdk/bsp/system/loaders/ble_suota_loader/DA14681-01-Release_QSPI/ble_suota_loader.bin
Preparing image file application_image.img
Using SDK from /Users/Sascha/Coding/SmartSnippets_Studio_workspace/DA1468x_SDK_1.0.14_homekit_RC_14_13_28
mkimage not found, please build it

How to solve this?

2. The terminal shows the following output:

Bootloader started.
Checking for update image.
Validating current image.
Checking image CRC.
Starting image at 0x8020000, reset vector 0x8020135.

############################################################################
# User App     log messages are ENABLED (user application log messages)     #
# HAP security log messages are ENABLED (pairing and encryption related)    #
# HAP service  log messages are ENABLED (profile and transaction related)   #
# HAP BLE      log messages are ENABLED (BLE advertisement & notifications) #
#                                                                           #
# Compile time code defines:                                                #
# HAP_CONFIG_PRINTF_USE_COLORS                                              #
# HAP_CONFIG_PRINTF_SECURITY_LOG_ENABLE                                     #
# HAP_CONFIG_PRINTF_SERVICE_LOG_ENABLE                                      #
# HAP_CONFIG_PRINTF_HAP_BLE_LOG_ENABLE                                      #
#############################################################################

Homekit template profile started
Random Bluetooth Address is E1:69:7B:A1:E9:9E 
Configuration number: 17
Global state number: 1

Device identifier E9:19:6F:30:8D:4C
ldo is active
Reached max number of retries 
ldo is active
NVMS_HOMEKIT_PART not programmed, using default accessory_sk, salt and setup-code 
Next available Instance ID: 29
Random Bluetooth Address is E1:69:7B:A1:E9:9E 
FW revision: 114.13.28
SW revision: 114.13.28
write value <Name> : DLGKIT A1E99E
write value <Manufacturer> : Dialog Semiconductor
write value <Model> : Black Orca
write value <Serial Number> : 123456
write value <FW Rev> : 114.13.28
write value <HW Rev> : 2.0.7
write value <Service Properties> : TLVDATA with length 2
write value <Protocol version> : 2.2.0
write value <Pair features> : 1
write value <Service Properties> : TLVDATA with length 2
write value <Name> : security system service

I recognized that the output is missing the line which shows the HomeKit pin code, which is necessary to pair the accessory. Any idea?
But one line says "NVMS_HOMEKIT_PART not programmed". Has this something to with it?

3. I also experienced this problem on the Windows machine sometimes, which has been "solved" with a factory reset. But for some reason it is not possible to reset the board anymore, because I cannot input any commands into the Terminal, but I don't know why. I also tried to do the factory reset on the Windows machine, but suddenly it is not possible on the Windows machine either. Why is the input in the terminal suddenly "disabled".

4. When I try to flash the board by running suota_update_flash_mac, I get the following message:
Has encountered a problem: Variable references empty selection: ${project_loc}

Best regards,
Sascha

Device: 
PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi saschaho,

Hi saschaho,

Thanks for your question online but we’re not supporting new HomeKit engagements right now.

Thanks, PM_Dialog

saschaho
Could you explain what you

Could you explain what you mean, please? You don't offer public support for HomeKit in the forum and I have to request via email? You don't offer support for the DA14681 anymore? You don't offer HomeKit support anymore?

Thanks in advance.

PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi saschaho,

Hi saschaho,

Sorry for the confusion. The HomeKit is not supported anymore. The DA14681 is supported but the DA14682 and DA14683 are recommended for new designs.

https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/connectivity/bluetooth-low-energy/smartbond-da14682-and-da14683

Thanks, PM_Dialog

saschaho
Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks for the explanation. That is a little disappointing, because we bought our DA14681 just several months ago and now we cannot get any support? I also would suppose the problems are probably more related to the configuration of the tools and the board rather than to be a specific HomeKit problem? Help on the above problems would be very much appreciated.

Regarding the DA14683:
Is the daugtherboard and MFi module we are using with our DA14681 compatible with the DA14683 Pro Kit?
Is the MFi module also compatible with the DA14683 USB Kit?

HerouxPal32
Posting so remember to check

Posting so remember to check incase someone finds a solution.

walgreenslistens

PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi saschaho,

Hi saschaho,

Apologies but the HomeKit is not available, thus it is not supported anymore.

Can you please clarify your last questions and indicate what is the “MFi Module” ?

Thanks, PM_Dialog

saschaho
Hi,

Hi,

to my information there are two version of the DA14681 for HomeKit developement, the Development Kit Basic (MFI-DL-DA14681-01A9DEVKT-B) and the Development Kit Pro (MFI-DL-DA14681-01A9DEVKT-P) as well as an addon board or so called daugtherboard (MFI-DL-HOMEKTADDONDB). The daughterboard can be placed on the Board of the Developement Kit Basic in order to support connection for a MFI module/MFi authentication chip (Avnet part number MFISP000918596). 

1. So my question regarding the DA14683:
Is the daugtherboard and MFi module we are using with our DA14681 compatible with the DA14683 Pro Kit?
Is the MFi module also compatible with the DA14683 USB Kit?

2. I also want to repeat that some of the problems from my inital post are related to the configuration of the SDK, tools and the board rather than to be a specific HomeKit problem? So, I would appreciate some help. E.g. why is it not possible to enter commands in the terminal in order to do a factory reset, etc.

3. Last but not least: I went to the Apple MFI Developer Portal, then opened the Avent MFi Procurement Website, which is according to Apple the official supplier of products regarding MFi Development, and was very surprised to see that they still sell the DA14681 but NOT the DA14682 or DA14683, though Dialog is recommending those products for HomeKit Development. Why does the official supply partner do not sell the board recommended by Dialog? Why do they sell board, you do not offer any HomeKit support for anymore? It feels like getting cheated, if you buy the product that are recommended by Apple and it supply partners and the manufacturer of these products tell you, that they do not support these product any longer.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best regards

juliediane
He is no 

He is no longer supported by HomeKit. The DA14681 is sponsored, but for new designs, the DA14682 and DA14683 are suggested.

saschaho
Hi PM_Dialog, hi juliediane,

Hi PM_Dialog, hi juliediane,

I don't understand why it is so difficult to answer my questions:

1. Is the daugtherboard and MFi module we are using with our DA14681 compatible with the DA14683 Pro Kit? Is the MFi module also compatible with the DA14683 USB Kit?

2. The problems from my inital post are related to the configuration of the SDK, tools and the board rather than to be HomeKit problems. So, I kindly ask for help. E.g. why is it not possible to enter commands in the terminal in order to do a factory reset, etc. That is obviously not a HomeKit problem.

3. Last but not least: I went to the Apple MFI Developer Portal, then opened the Avent MFi Procurement Website, which is according to Apple the official supplier of products regarding MFi Development, and was very surprised to see that they still sell the DA14681 but NOT the DA14682 or DA14683, though Dialog is recommending those products for HomeKit Development. Why does the official supply partner do not sell the board recommended by Dialog? Why do they sell a board, you do not offer any HomeKit support for anymore?

Best regards

PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi saschaho,

Hi saschaho,

Apologies for the delay, probably I missed your last comment. let me check your questions and I'll get back to you.

Thanks, PM_Dialog

PM_Dialog
Staff
Hi saschaho,

Hi saschaho,

Unfortunately the Homekit is not supported anymore, so we’re not supporting new HomeKit engagements right now.

We’re now in the process of moving to our new forum platform that will offer better functionality and is contained within the main Dialog website. All posts and accounts have been migrated. We’re now accepting traffic on the NEW forum only - please POST any new threads at  https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/support

We’ll be fixing bugs / optimizing the searching and tagging over the coming days.

So, if you have any follow up question please raise a thread on our NEW forum platform.

Thanks, PM_Dialog