DA9062-10 do not start

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
arnaud.gisquet@...
DA9062-10 do not start

Hello,

We are using a DA9062-10AM with the variant number -10 (for zynq device). The DA9062 is used for powering an Artix-7 FPGA but only with P1V0, P1V8 and P3V3 (see attachement). P1V35 and P0V675 are not used.

After 48 hours of well working, we start the power of the board and the DA9062 do not start : none of LDO and Buck generate voltage.

We do not understand what is happening and it's the same problem on 3 cards... Does not using all programmed outputs can be a problem?

Best regards,
Arnaud.

Attachment: 
Device: 
ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnaud,

Hello Arnaud,

Let me take a quick look at your schematic. Are you using the DA9062 in system or with the eval board? Have you tested the DA9062 with the eval board?

Could you send me your ini file?

Kind regards,
Elliott Dexter

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello,

Hello,

We are using the DA9062 on a custom board, designed by our team. Not tested with the eval board.

We have choosen the DA9062-10AM because this variant is pre-programmed with the good voltage for an Xilinx Artix-7 device. So I have no ini file.

Our schematic of DA9062 is based on the Minized board from Avnet, with the difference that we don't use the following voltages : 1V35, 0V675, VREF_0V675. But we have kept the passive components (L,C) around the unused voltages.

To be more precise about the problem, the DA9062 and the board work well during 48 hours, but after this time, the DA9062 do not start and none of the output (buck, LDO) provide voltage. It's the same problem on 3 boards.

Best regards.
Arnaud

ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnaud,

Hello Arnaud,

When you say the DA9062 does not start, are you powering the PMIC on and OFF or do you just see the regulators turned off? 

What is the supply voltage when you see the regualtors turn off?

Kind regards,

Elliott Dexter 

arnaud.gisquet@...
The PMIC does not start after

The PMIC does not start after a power ON of the supply voltage (P5V on the schematic).

ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnaud,

Hello Arnaud,

Could you capture the waveform on Vsys(C162) at start-up, we will need to make sure that there is no droop on this pin at start-up?

Could you also check the VDDCORE voltage on C183, this voltage should be 2.5 V when power is applied?

As a quick test, we should try issuing a wake-up event. Could you ground, the chip side of the R179 resistor for 1 second?

On the schematic side:

Is there a pull-up on the nRESET line?

Are there pull-up's on the I2C lines?

Kind regards,
Elliott Dexter

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello,

Hello,

I will come back to you with the result of the requested test.

On the schematic side :

1- Actually there is no pullup on the nRESET line but we can easily add it.

2- There is no pull up on the I2C line but we can add it in the FPGA IOB.

Best regards.

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello Elliott,

Hello Elliott,

I have done the test at start up on Vsys (C162).

We use an external supply and this one generate sometime (not all the time) a train of short pulses (less than 1 us by pulse) up to 19 Volt.
Can it be the problem ? it's probably destructive for the DA9062 when it happen ?

Best regards.
Arnaud.

ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnaud,

Hello Arnaud,

What was the result of the wake up event? Did you see the PMIC turn on?

What was the VDDCORE voltage when power was applied?

Section 2 of the datasheet lists the absolute maximum ratings of the device. Exceeding these ratings may cause permanent damage to the device. Device functionality is only guaranteed under the conditions listed in section 3 and section 4 of the dataseet. Operating the device in conditions exceeding those listed in Sections 3 and 4, but compliant with the absolute maximum ratings listed in Table 4, for extended periods of time may affect device reliability.

Kind regards,

Elliott Dexter 

ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnaud,

Hello Arnaud,

Could you also send me the waveform on Vsys?

Kind regards,

Elliott Dexter 

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello Elliott,

Hello Elliott,

The wake up event don't do anything, the PMIC stay OFF. And VDDCORE voltage is 0V.

The probleme is probably due to damage caused by the spikes generated by external power supply.
On one of the 3 board with the problem, my team has done several power and power off sequence. After a moment the external power supply goes in current limitation state and the temperature off the PMIC increase very fastly. On this board the power supply goes in limitation after each start-up, so I think the PMIC is dead.

This external power supply is actually used to do adjustement on the board, but the board will be placed in a system with is own power supply.
To prevent this problem in the final system, we are characterizing its power supply.

Thanks you for your help.

Best regards,
Arnaud.

ED_Dialog
Staff
H

Hello Arnaud,

I think the DA9062 is damaged. The power supply going into CC and none of the regulators turning on is probably evidence of that. 

What is your current limit on the supply?

Kind regards,

Elliott Dexer

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello Elliott,

Hello Elliott,

I think too.

During the tests, the current limit was set at 0.5A. After the first time the power supply gone into limitation, we have tested with 1A and 2A.

Arnaud.

ED_Dialog
Staff
Hello Arnuad,

Hello Arnuad,

If it hitting the limits at 1 - 2 A and we can’t see any of the rails attempting to start, then the chip is damaged and would suggest using a new part with a more stable power supply.

Will the final device have a more stably supply?

What is the end application?

Kind regards,

Elliott Dexter

arnaud.gisquet@...
Hello,

Hello,

We are changing the damaged PMIC on 2 boards. I think (and I hope) it will be good after the modification.

Currently, we are testing the power supply of the final system to control its stability at startup and during the operation.

The end application is a system for impedance measurement of marine probe.

Arnaud.